Natural Childbirth is the prenatal class best suited to women who are motivated to avoid or reduce the use of medications and interventions. This class was developed by Sara Pearce, a midwife with years of experience supporting natural birth.
The birth process is the foundation of the class, and each week you’ll practice coping strategies like breathing, intentional relaxation, visualization, massage, and helpful positions. While this holistic approach makes it a good fit for women hoping for an unmedicated birth, pain medications and supportive interventions are discussed. With less lecture and more interactive, hands-on learning, we will explore issues like keeping a positive attitude about your body’s abilities, advocating for yourself, informed decision making, exploring emotions, and how to prepare yourself for parenthood.
Spending time within a small group of other parents-to-be establishes a support network of other families who may become friends for life! You’ll even have a visit from a Natural Childbirth graduate family with their baby.
- The complete birth process
- Extensive coping strategies for comfort, with ample time to practice
- Pain medication and supportive interventions
- Cesarean birth
- Decision making and how to advocate for yourself in a medical setting
- Planning out a “wish list” with goals for your birth
- Postpartum healing
- The transition to parenthood, with breakout sessions for both mothers and support partners
- Weekly take-aways such as journaling projects, relaxation exercises and positive affirmations
- How to make a plan for your care team, both in the birth setting and at home with baby
- The last night is our “Sneak Peek” night. You’ll be visited by a new family to prepare you for what’s ahead.
We recommend taking this class with plenty of time before your due date to practice the techniques throughout the third trimester. Please budget time to finish the class by about 34-36 weeks. As always, all families are welcome regardless of where their babies will be born. For those families birthing in a hospital, please note that a tour is not part of prenatal classes at Amma. We encourage you to contact your hospital directly for information about tours.
Tuition: $195 for the six week series (tuition covers one expectant parent plus one support person).
We ask that families read our policies before registering for classes. Please don’t hesitate to contact us if you have any questions.